A new survey by jobs site Monster.com reveals that manufacturing industry workers in the United States may be unhappy and likely to be searching for a job.
Monster’s month-long study “U.S. Workforce Talent” surveyed nearly 6,000 job seekers who are currently employed or desire employment in the next 12 months.
Close to one-half, or 47 percent of manufacturing workers say they are dissatisfied with their current job, and only 34 percent of those surveyed express confidence in actually securing a new position.
While nearly one-half of manufacturing workers agree that there are more job openings now than a year ago, three-quarters (74 percent) also say it’s more challenging to find a job today. Respondents indicate that the job market is saturated with qualified talent in their area of expertise, making finding a new job more challenging.
This is somewhat surprising given growing media reports that the U.S lacks skilled manufacturing workers.
A 2011 skills gap report from the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) found that 67 percent of manufacturers are currently experiencing a shortage of qualified skilled workers, while according to a Forbes survey, 40 percent of U.S. companies won manufacturing business this year that had previously been off-shored.
The Monster survey finds that pharmaceutical and radio and television broadcasting companies are hiring the most manufacturing workers, while aircraft and medical industries are not hiring as many workers.
Top 10 Manufacturing Markets:
- Houston, TX
- New York, NY
- Los Angeles, CA
- Tulsa, OK
- Cleveland, OH
- Milwaukee, WI
- Chicago, IL
- Dallas, TX
- Phoenix, AZ
- Portland, OR
Top Industries Hiring Manufacturing Workers:
- Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing
- Semiconductor and Related Device Manufacturing
- Radio and Television Broadcasting and Wireless Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- Search, Detection, Navigation, Guidance, Aeronautical, and Nautical System and Instrument Manufacturing
- Surgical and Medical Instrument Manufacturing
- Aircraft Manufacturing
- All Other Plastics Product Manufacturing
- Surgical Appliance and Supplies Manufacturing
- Electronic Computer Manufacturing
- Soft Drink Manufacturing