PTC Mathcad and NASA Tech Briefs recently hosted a webcast on best practices for engineering calculations. If you missed it, read Part One of this series. To watch the replay of the live webcast, click here.

So many people attended this live webcast that we were unable to answer everyone’s burning questions, therefore we will continue to answer more of the questions here.

1.      Can Axis labels be added to Mathcad Prime graphs? How about gridlines?

In Mathcad Prime, the axis labels are the variable names by default. Gridlines are not currently supported.

2.      Besides Creo, what software can be used with Mathcad?

Out of the box, Mathcad integrates to Creo and Excel (via the Excel Component feature and read and write Excel functions). We can readily read in these file types CSV, BIN, RGB, WAV, TXT, JPG, BMP, and more.

3.      I recently upgraded from Mathcad 13 to Mathcad Prime 2.0. It seems that there is no User Guide. The “help” and “examples” explain a lot, but it’s hit or miss. I find a function and play with it unless I figure out what it does. Not very efficient.

There are a lot of resources for you to explore if you’re looking for help. In the Mathcad Prime 2.0 toolbar, click on the “Getting Started” tab and you can see that there are all sorts of guides, tutorials, support centers, and help resources if you click on the different icons. If you have a maintenance account, you can access the Learning Connector directly from a Help page on a function. PTC also has online training sessions on specific topics. And you can always post a question and worksheet on Communities and get expert help from other users.

Mathcad user interface help

The “Getting Started” tab in Mathcad Prime 2.0

4.      I am an undergraduate Aerospace Engineering major at UT Arlington. I was wondering what software is considered industry standard, and what software should I invest in that I will be using in my classes, AutoCAD, Mathcad, etc?

Mathcad is industry standard engineering calculation software however, I would check in with your professors for particular classes to see if they have any software requirements. PTC offers student prices for the full professional versions of Mathcad and Creo.

5.      Does Mathcad have export capabilities in XML or XMI? How can I share data with MATLAB or Rhapsody?

Yes, Mathcad can import and export different types of files – XLS(X), CSV, TXT, JPG, BMP, WAV. Mathcad 15 can share data directly with MATLAB. You’re not the only person wondering about this capability- check out an existing conversation on the Mathcad community.

Stay tuned for more feedback. If you have questions of your own, post them below or attend Mathcad Engage 2012, PTC Mathcad’s virtual event on November 7th, 2012 and interact with Mathcad experts through live chat.

This entry was posted in Events, Mathcad, Tips & Tricks and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 thoughts on “You Asked? We’re Answering… A Response to Questions from our Recent Webinar (part 2)”

1. David says:

Thanks. But my question remained unanswered…

2. Wonderful, what a web site it is! This weblog presents useful information to us, keep it up.

3. penge nu says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who
    you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉

4. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to
    be actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely broad
    for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang
    of it!

5. Anna Giangregorio says:

If you guys are interested in learning more about PTC Mathcad, we have an upcoming live webcast on April 23rd at 2pm EST. It will be a great way to learn more about engineering calculations tools and ask your own questions live.

6. ALEJANDRO says:

Oye quizás te agradecería que explicaras un poco más sobre WRITEEXCEL tengo mathcad prime 2.0 pero no me funciona WRITEEXCEL o un enlace de video pues somos muchos que no hemos podido utilizar esta función en Excel 2013 muchas gracias.

7. ALEJANDRO says:

hello maybe you would appreciate you to explain a little more about WRITEEXCEL I have mathcad prime 2.0 but does not work WRITEEXCEL or video link for we are many that we could not use this feature in Excel 2013 thank you very much.

8. ALEJANDRO says:

if possible with an explanatory video would be great for the many who want to learn about wrinteexcel again thank you very much for your attention
    maybe if I can send information or videos of this function to my email thank you all.

1. Anna Giangregorio says:

Hi there, Are you on maintenance? If yes, I would reach out to tech support and they can take you through the steps of how to use the writeexcel function. It’s hard to provide examples on this blog site but if you ask your question on our PTC Mathcad Community page one of our user experts might be able to help you!